FAQ for International Students and Research Students

the Center for Global Engagement is located on the first floor of the Kyotsu Kyoiku Bldg. at Mito Campus.(Mito Campus Map)
We also accept inquiries by email.
ioiu ☆ ml.ibaraki.ac.jp (Replace ☆ with @.).
Please do not forget your student number and name when you contact us.
A guarantor is a person who pays the rent on behalf of the tenant when the tenant does not pay the rent or when the equipment is broken and cannot be compensated. When you rent an apartment, you almost always need a guarantor.
If you don't have a guarantor in Japan, ask the real estate company to introduce you to a guarantor company.
If the real estate company approves, you can use the "Guarantee Program for Foreign Students of Ibaraki University" to guarantee.
The "Guarantee Program for Foreign Students of Ibaraki University" is a system under which Ibaraki University undertakes a joint guarantor during the period when you are enrolled in Ibaraki University and is enrolled in the Comprehensive Renters' Insurance for Foreign Students Studying in Japan provided by the Japan Educational Exchanges and Services. If you want to use the system, please contact staff members of the Center for Global Engagement.
Please go through the renewal procedure at the Immigration Bureau. You can renew your visa three months before the expiration date.
For documents to be prepared by the university, please contact staff members of the Center for Global Engagement for students at Mito Campus, and staff members of the Student Affairs Office for students at Hitachi and Ami Campus.
All international students studying at Ibaraki University (Excluding auditors) can take the Japanese Language Training Course.
Please contact staff members at the Center for Global Engagement for registration.
Unless you inform us that “I do not need a tutor,” we will assign you a tutor as soon as you enter the university.
(Undergraduate Students: 1 year from enrollment, Research Students: 1 year from enrollment, Graduate Students: 2 years from enrollment, Special Audit Students: 6 months from enrollment) We will inform you by email who will be your tutor in the Semester 1, 2020.
(For undergraduate and graduate students, you will receive via VC email account of the university. For research students and special audit students, you will receive via email address that was written during the enrollment procedure.)
In order to work part-time, you need to obtain permission to engage in an activity other than that permitted under the status of residence previously granted. You must apply at the Immigration Bureau. (There is no handling charge.)
*There are rules such as within 28 hours per week (Long-term university holidays are up to 8 hours per day).
*If you work part time without permission or if you exceed the fixed number of hours, you will be working illegally. Please be careful.
There are restrictions on activities that foreigners can engage in depending on their status of residence. If international students get part-time jobs without permission for an activity other than that permitted by their status of residence or work outside of the permitted parameters for their status, it is illegal work. If you are going to get a part-time job, you must apply for an activity other than that permitted by your status of residence. Contact the Ibaraki University Center for Global Education Office (International Exchange Division) or the Mito Branch of the Tokyo Immigration Bureau (Tel:029-300-3601) for further details.
At Mito Campus, we recruit tenants from April and from October every year. We will post information on the announcement of Dream Campus system and the bulletin board of the International Exchange Division from January to February for moving in in April and from July to August for moving in October. For information on applications for the International Dormitories at Hitachi and Ami campus, please contact the Student Affairs Office, College of Engineering and College of Agriculture. The move-in recruitment for April 2020 has already ended.
There is a comprehensive student life insurance for international students. Detailed information is distributed at the Center for Global Engagement.
By law, students with a "study abroad" visa are required to take at least 10 hours of classes a week.
Research students will be able to view the university-wide notice on the first page of the Dream Campus System. However, you cannot log in to the Dream Campus system.
Please receive your application form and consent form at the academic affairs office of your college or at the Center for Global Engagement.
After obtaining the signature of your academic advisor, please get a stamp of approval from each college's academic affairs office on the application form.
Please read the consent form carefully, sign it, and submit it to the Center for Information Technology together with the written application.
http://www.ipc.ibaraki.ac.jp/service/ID.php (In Japanese language)
Foreigners who are resident in Japan can visit their home countries before the end of their period of residence and re-enter Japan. However, they must have a Re-entry Permit. Applications for Re-entry Permits are taken at the Immigration Bureau so please complete this procedure. In addition, before departure, please submit the period and purpose of your trip, the date you plan to return to Japan and your contact details (address, phone number, etc.) in your home country to the teacher or supervisor who is responsible for you and staff at the Center for Global Engagement (International Exchange Division).

〇Special Re-entry System:
〇Re-entry Permit:


Before you leave Japan temporarily, you need to
① inform your temporary returen to your teacher or supervisor who is responsible
② Submit the form 「海外渡航情報連絡票/私事渡航届」(Kaigai toko joho renraku hyou)
Mito Campus students submit to the Center for Global Engagement
Hitach and Ami Campus students submit to the Student Educational Affairs Section
Ibaraki University website: https://www.ibaraki.ac.jp/student/notification/voyage/

Worries come with living abroad. If anything is worrying you, do not worry alone. Make sure you talk to someone. Teachers at the Center for Global Engagement (International Exchange Division) are available to talk if required so please feel free to come and talk to them. You can also consult with the following people.

Consultation, the Center for Global Engagement
●Teacher or supervisor responsible for you at college/graduate school
●Student Counselling Room at each college: student counsellor at each college
Ibaraki University Health Center
’Talk about anything’ Counselling Room:

Mito Campus : Kyotsu Kyoiku Building 1, 1st floor
Hitachi Campus : E1 Building, 1st floor
Ami Campus : Kanrito Building, 1st floor

●the Center for Global Engagement Office (International Exchange Division): Kyotsu Kyoiku Building 1, 1st floor at Mito Campus
●Person responsible for international students at each college (office)


You can also consult by e-mail. Please feel free to use this service.

the Center for Global Engagement Office (International Exchange Division) ryusodan☆ml.ibaraki.ac.jp (Change ☆ to @ to send a message)

There are two Emergency Calls in Japan, the police (110) and the fire department (119).

1. Call the police (110) if you are victim of theft, violence or involved in a traffic accident.
Call 110 and calmly tell the police 1) what happened, 2) when it happened and 3) who was involved.
2. Call the fire department (119) if there is a fire.
When calling, remain calm and say: Kaji desu (There’s a fire). Basho wa Mito-shi X-cho X-ban desu (The location is X (number), X-cho in Mito City). X ga moete imasu (X is burning). Watashi wa X to iimasu (My name is X).’
If you are involved in any of the incidents mentioned above, you must also contact the person/office responsible for international students at your college and your supervisor.

o drive in Japan, you must obtain a Japanese driver's license in one of the following ways.


1. If you have a driver's license in your home country, please go through the procedure to switch to a Japanese driver's license.
2. If you have an international driver's license, you can drive in Japan. It's valid for one year. It is originally a driver's license for short-term visitors.
3. To get a new driver's licence in Japan
Cars are very convenient, but they can also cause traffic accidents. Please understand Japanese traffic rules well and drive safely. If you drive a car, be sure to take out automobile insurance. In addition to the mandatory "compulsory automobile liability insurance" required by law, it is strongly recommended that you also enroll in the "voluntary insurance".

The following procedures must be completed.

1. Alien registration (in person at the City Hall for your place of residence)
2. Subscribe to national health insurance (However, there are required conditions: you have an Alien Registration card and you have been given leave to reside in Japan for 1 year or more.)

Yes. the Center for Global Engagement holds supplementary Japanese classes. If you can find a day and time that suits and you get permission from your supervisor, you can take these classes.
The university has a Graduate School of Science and Engineering.
  • Please contact:
  • Student Educational Affiars Section, College of Engineering
  • 4-12-1 Nakanarusawa-cho, Hitachi-shi, Ibaraki-ken 316-8511
  • TEL:0294-38-5010